Welcome to episode 264 (“AirTags Are Powerful”) of the EdTech Situation Room from July 6, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed Google news including Google Hangouts problems, eSignatures in Google Docs, and ChromeOS battery improvements. In Apple News, AirTag tracking problems, innovative ways to use AirTags, and the passage of the “Digital Markets Act” in Europe were discussed. Continued security concerns over TikTok and the billions of dollars being spent by schools for “high tech defensive systems” in the wake of mass shootings were topics rounding out this week’s show. Geeks of the Week included “Image Candy,” a USB-C to USB-A adapter, and Apple’s Magic Keyboard for iPad. Check out our shownotes for links to all the articles we discussed, and subscribe to our Substack to receive all the links we discussed and also didn’t have time to talk about in this week’s show in your email inbox! Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- Hangouts on Android and iOS stops working for many (9 to 5 Google; 4 July 2022)
- Google Docs adding built-in eSignature system to Workspace Individual (9 to 5 Google; 30 June 2022)
- New Chrome OS 105 feature could boost Chromebook battery life (About Chromebooks; 5 July 2022)
- ‘Altered Carbon’ actor Hannah Rose May shares recent AirTag tracking experience (9 to 5 Mac; 5 July 2022)
- 5 Places to Put an Apple AirTag That You Never Thought About (cNet; 5 July 2022)
- Digital Markets Act passes, could force Apple to allow competing app stores, and more (9 to 5 Mac; 5 July 2022)
- TikTok commits to changes to avoid App Store ban (1 July 2022)
- Senators Urge FTC to Investigate TikTok Over Chinese Access to User Data (PC Magazine, 6 July 2022)
- Schools Are Spending Billions on High-Tech Defense for Mass Shootings (NYTimes, 6 July 2022)
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: Image Candy and USB-C to USB-A adapter
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Magic Keyboard for iPad
"Apple AirTag" (CC BY 2.0) by ajay_suresh