Welcome to episode 263 (“TikTok is Dangerous”) of the EdTech Situation Room from June 29, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed security and TikTok, Chromebook / ChromeOS updates, and font/styling updates for Google Forms. Nostalgia for the iPhone’s initial sale 15 years ago, the inevitable transition to USB-C for iOS devices, “the curse of our data,” and tweaks to Twitter were additional discussion topics this week. Geeks of the Week included Project Hail Mary, reflections on a robotics workshop and the video “PrimeCuber.” Check out our shownotes for links to all the articles we discussed, and subscribe to our Substack to receive all the links we discussed and also didn’t have time to talk about in this week’s show in your email inbox! Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- An FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok from their app stores, saying it’s a national security risk (Business Insider, 28 Jun 2022)
- Leaked Audio From 80 Internal TikTok Meetings Shows That US User Data Has Been Repeatedly Accessed From China (BuzzFeed News, 17 June 2022)
- Chromebooks have become the Swiss Army Knife of computing (Chrome Unboxed; 21 June 2022)
- Chromebooks get these 7 new Chrome OS 103 features (About Chromebooks; 28 June 2022)
- Google Forms gains more fonts and styling options (Chrome Unboxed; 22 June 2022)
- Mr. Chromebox (Custom coreboot firmware and firmware utilities for your Chromebook/Chromebox)
- 15 Years Ago Today, the iPhone Went On Sale (MacRumors, 29 Jun 2022)
- Avoiding USB-C on iPhones may get harder for Apple as Brazil considers mandate (ArsTechnica, 29 Jun 2022)
- Our Data Is a Curse, With or Without Roe (New York Times; 29 June 2022) – Gift Link
- Twitter tests ‘notes’ feature with 2,500 word limit (BBC News; 23 June 2022)
- Twitter Write: Notes (Official Twitter support page)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Project Hail Mary
- Wes’ Geek of the Week: Reflections on Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy (Part 1) and Primecuber (video)
“TikTok App” (CC BY 2.0) by ajay_suresh