Welcome to episode 274 (“Twitter Dumpster Fire”) of the EdTech Situation Room from November 9, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) talked extensively about the chaos which is Twitter post Elon Musk’s acquisition. LumaFusion video editor on Android, Google Lens capabilities, and Google Photos upgrades (including a video editor) were also discussed. The now legendary myth of Google’s incognito mode, innovative solar panels, the new “Arc” web browser, the proclaimed “death of social media,” and school sanctioned webcam student surveillance were topics rounding out this weeks’ show. Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- Elon Musk says Twitter Blue will cost $8, and include blue tick verification (Mashable, 2 Nov 2022)
- The ridiculous Twitter checkmark situation just got more complicated (Vox; 9 November 2022)
- How Elon Musk is changing Twitter (Vox; 9 November 2022)
- LumaFusion video editor to come Android, Chrome OS in ‘coming months’ as development begins (9 to 5 Google; 27 October 2022)
- This new Google Lens feature looks like it’s straight out of a sci-fi movie (Digital Trends; 28 September 2022)
- Google Photos is getting a movie maker and upgraded video editor (Chrome Unboxed; 27 July 2022)
- Chrome’s Incognito Mode Is The Butt Of Jokes Among Google Employees, It Seems (SlashGear; 11 October 2022)
- Record-breaking transparent solar panels pave way for electricity-generating windows (The Independent; 28 October 2022)
- Why The Browser Company’s Darin Fisher thinks it’s time to reinvent the browser (Verge, 31 Oct 2022)
- Social Media is Dead (Motherboard, 6 Nov 2022)
- Kids Are Back in Classrooms and Laptops Are Still Spying on Them (Vox, Aug 2002)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: eBoox App
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: Check In Generator and Angry Planet Podcast: “The Second American Civil War Is (Not) Coming” and Hackastory Tools