Welcome to episode 189 (“Hack the Nook”) of the EdTech Situation Room from September 2, 2020, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed COVID-19 impacts and predicted impacts on schools in 2020-21 and beyond, Apple’s App store fights with Epic Games (over Fortnite) and WordPress, New Android updates for latest Samsung devices, Jason’s love for Android E Ink tablets and desire to “hack the nook,” updates about the U.S. military’s new “Starlink style” space network in the work, and SpaceX’s efforts to qualify Starlink for FCC grants were topics rounding out the show. Geeks of the Week included the forthcoming documentary, “The Social Dilemma,” the superb Oct 2019 article by Joan Donovan, “How memes got weaponized: A short history,” a free W3C Web Accessibility course, a helpful article about accessible typefaces, and FiveThirtyEight’s statistical election forecasts. Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links.
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – blog: speedofcreativity.org – Shared Lessons & Curriculum
- How Fortnite Baited Apple Into a Losing Battle (Onezero on Medium, 15 Aug 2020)
- Apple apologizes to WordPress, won’t force the free app to add purchases after all (Verge, 23 Aug 2020)
- Here are the Samsung devices getting three generations of Android updates (Verge, 18 Aug 2020)
- I Unabashedly Love This Android E Ink Tablet (Gizmodo, 14 Aug 2020)
- The US military took a big step toward a future space network this week (ArsTechnica, 1 Sept 2020)
- SpaceX seeks FCC broadband funds, must prove it can deliver sub-100ms latency (ArsTechnica, 2 Sept 2020)
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: “The Social Dilemma” documentary (@SocialDilemma_ – coming Sept 9th) and “How memes got weaponized: A short history” by @BostonJoan (Oct 2019)
- Jason’s Geeks of the Week: W3C Web Accessibility free online course – A Guide to Understanding What Makes a Typeface Accessible – FiveThirtyEight Election 2020 Statistical Forecasts