Welcome to episode 272 (“Metaverse Confusion Likely”) of the EdTech Situation Room from October 12, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed the 2022 “Hype Cycle” for educational technology in the United States, the merger of ISTE and ASCD, Tim Cook’s view of the metaverse, the new $1500 VR headset from Meta / Facebook, and Microsoft prescience in creating its tablet computer series. Web apps as a leading attack vector for security attacks, election worker cyber-attacks, and another Alex Jones civil trial judgement were also discussed topics. Geeks of the Week included software enabling MacOS updates for older hardware systems, FEMA’s “Build a Kit” website for emergency preparedness, a $22 portable Chinese-manufactured HAM radio, and a power meter tester for USB-C devices. Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- Microsoft was right all along (The Verge; 14 September 2022)
- Hype Cycle for K-12 Education, 2022 (Gartner; 19 July 2022)
- Education Professional Development Superpower? ISTE and ASCD Set to Merge (Education Week, 29 Sept 2022)
- Tim Cook in new interview: ‘I’m really not sure the average person can tell you what the metaverse is’ (9 to 5 Mac; 30 September 2022)
- Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg debuts Meta Quest Pro VR headset that will cost $1,500 (MSNBC, 11 Oct 2022)
- Meta hasn’t “really learned the right lesson,” whistleblower Frances Haugen says (Vox; 6 September 2022)
- Why web apps are one of this year’s leading attack vectors (Venture Beat; 7 October 2022)
- Election officials worry about potential poll worker interference this November (NPR, 9 Oct 2022)
- Malicious Emails Surged for Election Workers in 2 Battleground States Ahead of Primaries (NextGov, 12 Oct 2022)
- Alex Jones ordered to pay $965 million for Sandy Hook lies (AP, 12 Oct 2022)
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: OpenCore Legacy Patcher (h/t Jason!) – FEMA Ready.org “Build a Kit” – BAOFENG UV-5R
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Plugable USB C Power Meter Tester for Monitoring USB-C Connections – Digital Multimeter for USB-C Cables, Laptops, Phones and Chargers
"Oculus" (CC BY 2.0) by Alex Butterfield