Welcome to episode 19 of the EdTech Situation Room from August 17, 2016, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed a heartwarming story from the Rio Olympics, the role (or non-role) of videoconferencing and live streaming in many K12 classrooms, the shutdown of Blab and the migration of Google Hangouts from Google+ to YouTube Live. Additional topics included the DMCA and “safe harbor” in the recording industry’s latest efforts to increase their take of streaming music revenues from YouTube, Verizon’s efforts to become a media company, the imminent arrival of Android apps to a Chromebook near you, and the effects of both social media and mobile screens on young minds. Geeks of the week included Remind.com and playposit.com. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR to stay up to date upcoming live shows. Please reach out to us via Twitter and let us what you liked about the show and what you’d like to hear about in future episodes! Check out our shownotes on http://edtechsr.com/links.
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube, also check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach)
- Wesley Fryer (@wfryer)
- South And North Korea Gymnasts’ Selfie Scores A 10 For Diplomacy “This is why we do the Olympics.” (Huffington Post, 8 August 2016)
- Blab shuts down, founders promise new app on the way (TechCrunch, 14 August 2016)
- Hangouts On Air moving from Google+ to YouTube Live (YouTube Help)
- Why Taylor Swift Is Asking Congress To Update Copyright Laws (NPR, 8 August 2016)
- The Music Industry’s New War Is About So Much More Than Copyright (Wired, 11 August 2016)
- Verizon’s Metamorphosis: Can You See Me As A Tech Giant Now? (NPR, 9 August 2016)
- Attention, College Students: Chromebooks Are About to Get Awesome (Wired, 12 August 2016)
- The Google Play store, coming to a Chromebook near you (Google Chrome Blog, 19 May 2016)
- Researchers Study Effects Of Social Media On Young Minds (NPR, 9 August 2016)
- Summer Camps Struggle To Enforce Bans On Screen Time (NPR, 11 August 2016)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Seen Remind, lately? If not, it keeps getting even more awesome!
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: PlayPosit: Interactive Video Learning (via @BlackDogOKC) and iPad Cart Setup Steps with Apple Configurator 2 and Meraki MDM (August 2016)
“hp_14r_chromebook” (CC BY 2.0) by TGTestLab