Welcome to episode 280 (“LastPass Security Breach”) of the EdTech Situation Room from January 11, 2023, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week’s topics include the recent breach of password manager LastPass and what that means for users, as well as security best-practices overall. (Spoiler: Keep using a recommended password manager!) Additional security articles discussed included leaked addresses of millions of Twitter users, and a Supreme Court decision allowing the NSO iPhone hacking (Pegasus spyware) case to move forward. On the Google front, the 2022 Chromebook of the year, enhanced spam prevention in Google Voice, and a review of the “Framework Chromebook” were highlighted and analyzed. Lastly, a variety of articles on the artificial intelligence / AI front were explored. These included articles highlighting the ability of ChatGPT to write malware, a college student’s software program to “detect” AI-authored essays, and others. Geeks of the Week included the search engine Neeva, youtubetranscript.com, and a free Chrome extension which facilitates summarization of YouTube video transcripts using ChatGPT. Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR and Mastodon (@firstname.lastname@example.org) for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 9 pm Eastern / 8 pm Central / 7 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter and on Mastodon!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (Mastodon: @email@example.com – Twitter: @techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (Mastodon: @firstname.lastname@example.org – Twitter: @wfryer ) – wesfryer.com/after
- LastPass users: Your info and password vault data are now in hackers’ hands (Ars Technica; 22 December 2022)
- Hackers reportedly leak email addresses of more than 200 million Twitter users (The Guardian; 5 January 2023)
- Supreme Court declines to block WhatsApp lawsuit over NSO phone hacking (TechCrunch, 9 Jan 2023)
- A New Chat Bot Is a ‘Code Red’ for Google’s Search Business (NY Times, 21 Dec 2022, Gift Link)
- A college student created an app that can tell whether AI wrote an essay (NPR; 9 January 2023)
- Microsoft’s new AI can simulate anyone’s voice with 3 seconds of audio (ArsTechnica, 9 Jan 2023)
- Controversy erupts over non-consensual AI mental health experiment (ArsTechnica, 10 Jan 2023)
- ChatGPT is enabling script kiddies to write functional malware (ArsTechnica, 6 Jan 2023)
- My pick for 2022 Chromebook of the Year (About Chromebooks; 2 January 2023)
- Google Voice Can Now Flag Suspected Spam Calls (CNET; 30 December 2022)
- Review: Framework Chromebook is what enthusiasts have been waiting for (9 to 5 Google; 10 January 2023)
- The best Chromebooks for work (ZDnet, 9 Jan 2023)
- Jason has moved to… 1password.com
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Search Engine neeva.com
- Wes’ Geeks of the Week: youtubetranscript.com and YouTube Summary with ChatGPT (Example)