Welcome to episode 266 (“AI for Excel”) of the EdTech Situation Room from August 10, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed features in ChromeOS 104 and 105, an AI bot for Excel formulas, and an increased price for Twitter Blue. Google’s warrantless video permissions for police, survey results about political violence in the U.S., and GenZ search preferences for TikTok over YouTube were also highlighted topics. Additionally, subscription based cars, and latest Meta’s chatbot fail were explored Geeks of the Weeks included Kible and Ad Observatory. Check out our shownotes for links to all the articles we discussed, and subscribe to our Substack to receive all the links we discussed and also didn’t have time to talk about in this week’s show in your email inbox! Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- ChromeOS 104 rolling out and introducing new features (Chrome Unboxed; 5 August 2022)
- Chrome OS 105 partial split windows and multitasking button details (About Chromebooks; 11 July 2022)
- Game-changer for Excel: Free AI bot creates any Excel formula you need (Boy Genius Report; 31 July 2022) https://excelformulabot.com/
- Twitter raises its Blue subscription price (MS PowerUser; 29 July 2022)
- Google, like Amazon, will let police see your video without a warrant (Verge, 27 July 2022)
- He surveyed 8,600 Americans about political violence. The results are beyond scary (LA Times, 21 July 2022)
- Nearly half of Gen Z is using TikTok and Instagram for search instead of Google, according to Google’s own data (Insider; 13 July 2022)
- The future of cars is a subscription nightmare (The Verge; 13 July 2022)
- Meta’s New AI Chatbot Loves Anti-Racism and Mean Girls (Gizmoto; 6 August 2022)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: Kible
- Wes’ Geek of the Week: Ad Observatory (details)
"Excel 2010" (CC BY 2.0) by Shinichi Haramizu