Welcome to episode 254 (“ChromeOS Oh My”) of the EdTech Situation Room from March 30, 2022, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed Google / ChromeOS news, Microsoft news, Apple news, technology headlines from the ongoing war in Ukraine, BigTech / The “Tech Correction,” and one article about Space Force. Geeks of the Week included an excellent Ezra Klein interview with Margaret Atwood, and early bird pricing for NCCE 2022! Check out our shownotes for links to all the articles we discussed, and subscribe to our Substack to receive all the links we discussed and also didn’t have time to talk about in this week’s show in your email inbox! Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com, and compressed to a smaller video version (about 100MB) on AmazonS3 using Handbrake software. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links. Stay savvy and safe!
- Subscribe to our EdTechSR Substack Newsletter!
- EdTech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – wesfryer.com/after
- Chrome OS virtual desks are getting a useful upgrade (About Chromebooks; 24 March 2022)
- Cameyo introduces PWA Windows apps for Chrome OS (Chrome Unboxed; 23 March 2022)
- Chrome OS: “A better Linux than Linux” so you can forget about Windows (TechRadar, 18 March 2022)
- How to identify images in Chrome using Google Lens (Chrome Unboxed; 23 March 2022)
- Chrome for Mac, Windows, & CrOS add Side Panel for accessing bookmarks, Reading List [U] (9 to 5 Google; 25 March 2022)
- Windows 11 version 22H2: Everything we know about Microsoft’s next big OS update (Windows Central; 23 March 2022)
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Se Review: Just Get A Chromebook (The Verge; 25 March 2022)
- Apple is reportedly planning a 15-inch MacBook Air (The Verge; 25 March 2022)
- Russia is risking the creation of a “splinternet”—and it could be irreversible (Technology Review; MIT Technology Review; 17 March 2022)
- How War in Ukraine Roiled Facebook and Instagram (NY Times, 30 March 2022)
- TikTok faces investigation into its impact on young people’s mental health (The Verge; 8 March 2022)
- Facebook paid GOP firm to malign TikTok (Washington Post, 30 March 2022)
- WithFed Up Google, Conspiracy Theorists Turn to DuckDuckGo (The New York Times; 23 February 2022)
- The free speech search engine that never was (Recode; 16 March 2022)
- Space Force Gets Roughly 40% Increase in Biden Request (Defense One, 28 March 2022)
- Wes’ Geek of the Week: Margaret Atwood on Stories, Deception and the Bible (Ezra Klein Podcast)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week: NCCE 2022 Early Bird Pricing Ends THURSDAY!
"hp_14r_chromebook" (CC BY 2.0) by TGTestLab