Welcome to episode 169 of the EdTech Situation Room from March 18, 2020, where technology news meets educational analysis. This week Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) and Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) discussed the exceptional week of neo-coronavirus / COVID-19 announcements, closures, and news we’ve experienced globally in the past seven days. We also discussed a few recent technology headlines, which (as usual) are linked in the shownotes, but most of our conversation focused on ways we can adapt and adjust as more people than ever are working from home, teaching from home, and learning from home. Access archived MP3 audio and smaller 360P video archives of this and past shows on edtechSR.com. Our show was live streamed and archived simultaneously on YouTube Live as well as our Facebook Live page via StreamYard.com. Please follow us on Twitter @edtechSR for updates, and join us LIVE on Wednesday nights (normally) if you can at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central / 8 pm Mountain / 7 pm Pacific or 3 am UTC. All shownotes are available on http://edtechSR.com/links.
- Edech Situation Room Listener Survey: wfryer.me/edtechsr
- Follow @edtechSR on Twitter!
- Audio podcast feed (Subscribe with iTunes or Stitcher)
- Video version on YouTube
- Check out our video podcast feed and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (episodes also in this YouTube playlist)
- Jason Neiffer (@techsavvyteach) – blog: blog.ncce.org
- Wes Fryer (@wfryer) – blog: speedofcreativity.org – Wes’ Media and Digital Literacy Curriculum / Classroom Website – Casady School Remote Learning Support for Teachers
- Fantastic article of tips shared last week, mentioned again: How To Work From Home (The Verge, 11 March 2020)
- Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly orders K-12 schools closed for the rest of academic year (Wichita Eagle, 17 March 2020)
- Working From Home (NPR Planet Money, 17 March 2020)
- ‘It shouldn’t take a pandemic’: Coronavirus exposes Internet inequality among U.S. students as schools close their doors (Washington Post, 16 March 2020)
- Don’t Fall for These Myths About Coronavirus (NY Times, 18 March 2020)
- Online Learning Resources For Schools (Montana Digital Academy, Mike Agostinelli @mikegusto)
- Jeff Jarvis’s COVID 19 Twitter List (@jeffjarvis)
- How to set Screen Time Communication Limits for kids in iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3 (MacWorld, 19 Dec 2019)
- Israel Wants to Spy on Citizens Who Have the Coronavirus (Foreign Policy, 16 March 2020)
- Remote IT HelpDesk Resources: Text Expansion and Go To Assist
- Wes’ Geek of the Week 1: www.designcreateshare.com project and webinar series
- Wes’ Geek of the Week 2: An Online Gathering To Share And Support Educators During The Coronavirus Pandemic (Renee Hobbs / Media Education Lab, 18 March 2020)
- Jason’s Geek of the Week 1: DIY Standing Desks
- Jason’s Geek of the Week 2: Brit and Co Classes Free for Two Weeks!
“Don’t let perfect stand in the way of good enough!” – Dr. Jason NeifferDr. Jason Neiffer
“Mobile worker” (CC BY 2.0) by Street matt